A Study of the Importance and Methods of Scripture
Lesson Verse: Psalm 119:11
A. It is important for Christians to read and study the word of God daily. But study of the Bible is incomplete if what the Christian reads never takes hold and never manifests itself by a changed life (James 1:22). The only way for the word of God to effectively take hold on your life is by learning to memorize both its promises and commands.
B. This lesson provides the reasons for Scripture memorization, and the methods that can work best for you.
A. Some Principles to Know
1. Realize that God blesses Scripture memorization, "...in his law doth he _____________ day and night... and whatsoever he doeth shall ____________" (Ps 1:2,3)! And beyond that, God blesses Scripture application!!! Take time now to commit yourself to memorizing each of the Memory verses of this Study Guide (Matthew 4:4, and Heb 10:25)! This is the best way to get answered prayer! John 15:7 says, "If ye abide in me, and my _________ abide in you, ye shall ______ what ye will, and it shall be done unto you." You will then know what to ask.
2. Memorization and meditation on the word of God makes you wiser than your _________ and stronger than your troubles (Ps 119:97-100).
3. Start off small. It takes only five minutes in the morning, and five minutes in the evening.
4. Review will be the key to retaining what you memorize! Memorization is not just a one-time event, it is repetitive.
5. Use what you learn! Be involved in soul-winning and Church visitation applying the verses you memorize to other people's needs for their salvation, encouragement and direction (Prov 11:30)!
B. Some Practical Steps to Follow
1. Copy verse(s) to small pocket-sized cards (3"x5" or smaller)
2. Make sure that you memorize the "address" (or reference) of the Scripture along with the verse(s). In the above figure, it is Romans 6:23. The important thing is to make the address part of what you are memorizing as well. This way, you will be able to find the verse again in the Bible when you need it for someone else!
3. Keep the cards together in a case of some sort, so that they can be carried around easily in your pocket.
4. Memorize each verse using the following pattern: Read the verse out-loud 5 times each time you get a chance to take them out of your purse or pocket - at least once a day - preferable 2 or 3 times a day. Do this for a week. At the end of the week, you should be able to recite the verse by memory. Try to do a different verse each week. Make sure that you go back and review each previous verse at least once a week - maybe go back through all the older verses at one time, so to keep them fresh. You will be surprised how much you remember.
5. Soon you will see these verses help you lead someone to salvation, or help you through a struggle, or strengthen another Christian!
C. Some Goals to Set
1. Memorize verses that will help you win people to saving faith in Jesus Christ. Memorize some of the same verses that helped you to see the need to be saved. Write these down and memorize them! (Heb 9:27; John 3:3; Rom 3:23; 6:23; 10:13)
2. Memorize verses that will help you in times of trouble, heartache and temptation (1 Cor 10:13; John 14:1; Isa 40:31; Philp 1:6; 1 Thes 5:24)
3. Memorize verses that deal with current issues facing your co-workers and neighbours (relating to evolution, eternal life, that the unborn child is human and therefore true life)
D. A Verse A Day, Keeps the Devil Away! Remember, these goals are not obtained in just one month, or even one year. They are obtained one verse at a time. So, at the end of your life, the challenge is to be able to look back and have made it through the trials and troubles because the word of God was faithfully hidden away in your heart!
E. An Evaluation. Now, have you memorized the two Verses that have been given so far? Let's find out. Write out the verses as best as you can:
Matthew 4:4 _________________________________________________
Hebrews 10:25 _______________________________________________ ____________________________________________________________ ____________________________________________________________